Friday, December 10, 2010

Snowy Afternoon



After a rather crappy, cry-ee, whine-ee nap this morning, we went for a walk in town. 'Twas snowing quite nicely. Took E in the Bob carriage so she could see out and enjoy the scenery, also helped because the hood covers her up- mostly. By the time we finished the hour long walk, the blanket on her lap had 3/4 of an inch of snow on it. Face stayed mostly covered thanks to Uncle David and the "suit" he bought her from !Bap.

I've caught a little flack because the Blog mostly involves information about the baby, "that maybe it should include more important, worldly events", so I've been doing some thinking. And have decided to widen the scope of Time w/ E...

On the walk, Kodi took a big shit. Strange, because he waited until we were almost home- within 250 yards (not people's yards, but the things that are slightly smaller than meters). He also really likes getting out of the house, eating snow, and prancing around. Every day I walk past Bamboo Market or the Seafood Company he stops dead in his tracks while I keep moving. I end up being jerked backwards because he thinks its time to either go to the Seafood Company where it smells like elk being processed or Bamboo where he receives a treat from the girls who work behind the counter when we go there to actually buy something. He is set in his ways.

On a more worldly note (in line with Obama's stance on tax breaks, Korean Bombing, Angelina's new Movie) etc. I've seen a couple episodes of Ellen. Now she seems like someone worth writing about. It appears that at this time of year, Ellen gives out tons of presents to everyone in her audience for Twelve days around Christmas! I love that. I also love how she stands up for the gays.

On another worldly note. Turns out Steamboat is in the running for a $250K donation from Pepsi for a new year round ski jump on Howelsen Hill. It would be a 38M jump so that younger kids can now compete year round too. Steamboat is the town that boasts the largest number of Olympic athletes in the country. We won a bunch of medals this year, first ever in Nordic Combined, and winning this grant would be great for our development program. You can vote for Steamboat to to win every day 'til the end of the month at www.refresheverything.com (search Steamboat and you can figure out the rest).

Also, hitting me a little closer to home, Matt Damen just did some filming in the town I grew up in! Turns out Tischler's Grocery, the town grocery store in Western Springs, IL that we used (and has been out of business for years) got a facelift and became venue for one or more scenes from the new thriller Contagion. He also did a little work outside of Breen's Cleaners and the former Pharmacy Scheulter's- where I used to buy my candy and gum. If all goes well, Kirschbaum's bakery will be the backdrop for one or more scenes too!

I remember going to the bakery one morning before school in 7th grade. I got a sweet roll with my buddy Todd. Walking into the building there was an old guy who didn't seem like he fit in in our small town. He started chatting me up while asking for a little change as I entered the bakery. I'm not sure how we got on the subject, but, I distinctly remember the words, "Yeah, I like cats. I love to shoot them in the ass!" and then just buckets full of laughter. I went in, got my roll, thankfully he was gone when I left. After that, it was Mrs. Axelrad's for homeroom.

Walked to Sweet Water grill this evening to meet some teachers for happy hour. Emerald was a champ. Even though she was really tired, she never really freaked and K and I were able to socialize a little bit and have a beer and snacks. Came home, put E to bed, and then through one of the quiches I made last week into the over from the freezer.

Peace.

Oh, by the way. In 1.5 days, E went from being able to sit on her own for just a tiny little bit with confidence, to today, where she could sit up on her own for over a minute numerous times. Crazy.

1 comment:

  1. Now this is a blog I can follow! Fascinating insights into your opinions on the issues affecting all of our lives. Thanks, Brad.

    ReplyDelete