Thursday, December 16, 2010

Few Days Late



I know, its been a few days. Being a stay at home dad is tough and this week has been busy! Between Doctor's appointments, grocery shopping, walking and cooking for an art opening tomorrow, it's tough to get it all in.

Foto is Emerald's insides. Found out from orthopedic that all is well with the dysplasia so far. He wants to keep an eye on one thing he saw in the x-ray. Turns out that bone grows from the inside out. The two little "floating" specks above her femur is actually the bone forming that will create the ball/head of her femur. The dot on her right (hip without the dysplasia) is slightly more dense than the left. Surrounding that dot is cartilage that will turn to bone and he hopes that at our next visit in 4 months, the two sides will look identical. Pretty cool picture though. E wasn't too psyched about laying on a cold metal looking table naked, but she got over it.

Made some sweet pea puree. Emerald has now eaten rice cereal, yams, and peas. Definitely the rice cereal is her favorite. I actually made some of that today out of brown rice and she liked it as much as the store bought stuff, but it doesn't contain iron. Was thinking that I could mix some formula that a friend gave us into homemade cereal so that it will be fortified with vitamins and minerals.

Went to the pediatrician today for 6th month visit. Everything looks good. Would have liked to include a snapshot of her reaction to her two vaccine boosters, but I don't know if the nurse would have been too happy with my focus. Take your breath away type pain. She turns red, opens her mouth and looks like she's screaming, but nothing comes out. Stats: Height- 94th Percentile; Head Size- 90th Percentile; and Weight- 11th Percentile (pretty sure that these numbers are correct, but K has all ready hidden the sheet from me). Looks like she's got nerdy, super model statistics- combine that with her attitude (I mean strong personality) and it seems like a good fit. Scary, but good.

Yesterday we got about 5 inches of snow. I strapped E on up front facing out while I snowblew (snowblowed?) the driveway. Thought she was going to freak, but she just dangled there happy as can be- even when the wind was blowing snow back into her face. Got some funny looks from people driving by, but what are you going to do? Kathleen didn't even complain that she smelled like gasoline when she came home, I was quite surprised. I asked a few of the guys who I hiked Mt. Werner with if they thought that the fumes were bad for her. Most sort of shook their heads with a slightly concerned look on their faces, but Steve D said that he raised his kids on Diesel fumes and the oldest one is a kicker for CSU. So, if the modeling doesn't work out, maybe she could be a kicker for a football team, or a race car driver.

Mountain was gorgeous last night. When we were about 2/3 of the way up, I turned around and the sun over Craig was just setting. The color was exactly the same as the lights in town. And the sky was cloudy, but clear. Everything had a somewhat baby blue/grey look to it. Stopped and admired for a minute and then climbed for another minute and realized I was in a cloud- about 100 meters of visibility. Turned around to see town and it was gone. Crazy how quickly things can change. Almost instantly I can become lost on the mountain that I have been skiing on since I was 16.

I have three 10/11 lb pork shoulders in the oven right now. They started on the grill getting hit with some smoke at 10:45 this morning. I hope that they will be done by 10:45 this evening. They are all ready cooked through, but I want them to shred really easily for the 108 sandies I am making for tomorrow. Roughly half will be bbq pulled pork with a hit of Asian coleslaw, and the other half will be on miniature hogies, cut in half, topped with Pueblo Green Chili cream cheese.

No comments:

Post a Comment