Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Sunshine

Hadn't uploaded the birthday Goat Cheese Brownie fotos until after my last post, so they are a little late.
Not much of a dessert guy, but I made these when K's uncles were in town and they were delicious. Made with cocoa powder and so they taste like a good, strong hot chocolate, with a savory creamy hit.
Yesterday, I had all intention of taking E on a hike after her morning nap and then to the ski area after her afternoon nap. I am not upset, by any means, but E had other plans. She decided she would take a 2 hour 30 minute nap in the am, and a 2 hour and 15 minute nap in the afternoon. By the time she got up from the late nap, I only had 40 minutes before going to tutor. So we got the hike in (long loop), but weren't able to ski.


E and Kodi hanging out and waiting for Dad to shed some clothes. It was so sunny and nice yesterday that I had shed my hat and gloves within the first 10 minutes and my sweater by 25 minutes. This foto is a 25 minute walk from our home on a single track trail. Someone had been putting up course markers for what I can only imagine is going to be a snow mountain bike race. Haven't heard anything about it yet, but that's what it looked like to me. S, maybe you should bring the Pugsley out- bring Klein too?

Kodi got really spoiled yesterday. Soon after putting E down for her afternoon nap, T, D and her Brother M went for a hike with kids and dogs. They brought Kodi with them and so he got 2 hikes in one day. Last night I practically had to carry him to bed.

Here we are almost to the top of the trail. Love feeling that sun in my face, on my arms, and my bald head!


During E's morning nap today, I made dinner for tonight. We are having Pot Stickers. Pretty funny, but I bought the ground pork and ginger over the weekend with intentions of making the pot stickers, but hadn't gotten around to it before randomly catching an episode late last night of Good Eats. Yes, the episode was about making different types of dumplings. I therefore didn't just completely wing a recipe, but got some help from Alton Brown. I did add some fresh ginger, soy sauce, and a serrano chili, but it was nice to be able to mostly follow his lead. I made 38 gyosa, freezing 18 for a later time. The tablespoon of left over filling, I fried up and ate for breakfast. Oh, goood God, I can't wait for dinner!


After her morning nap, and cleaning up the food making supplies. We went to the ski area. It is another beautiful day here in Steamboat. I think E is really starting to enjoy getting suited up and loaded into the Tundra for outdoor adventures. I even think that when she sees the backpack, she gets excited. We were able to park in the Knoll lot and walk to the ski area from there. Rode the Gondi with an older woman from MN who really liked seeing and playing with E. She was also filling me in on how the poles are changing positions. Not sure where that came from, but she obviously enjoyed speaking about it. Mentioned that Greenland saw the Sun two days earlier than they ever have before during written, human history. Said the Minne climate would become temperate and Steamboat would definitely warm up- still be able to ski, but noticeably warmer. 2012?

Gondi ride up. Condoland in the background.


We took one pitch of Why Not, then one pitch of Vagabond, then finished out on Why Not?. Though Why? is not as fun for me as Vag, it takes longer to get down and since we were in the sun and it was warm, we went for it. Got numerous raspberries and several shrieks on the way down, but mostly, she was quiet.



Things were starting to cloud up to the west on our way home, but if that sunshine stays out, I plan on having K meet us for a skate out in Silver Spur. I guess it's also dependent on E deciding not to sleep for more than 3 hours this afternoon (she's all ready been out for an hour).

After the ski, its back home for POT STICKERS! Yum.

6 comments:

  1. She really truly DOES look like she likes it! Awesome. Tongue at the end wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Probably watched this 20 times. She's so placid. It's weird. I feel like under the correct amount of stimulation maybe she's not even able to act up, or rather, she's so fully into it there is no need to act up at all? Is she so much less fussy than when you hang at the house all day? I know the fresh air knocks me out too. I feel this is all good. Well done brother.

    ReplyDelete
  3. She definitely enters a calm space when we are out hiking, walking, or skiing. She can be really mellow at home, but there are definitely shorter distances between fussing- she always makes a lot more noise when we are at home. Go back to the other video of skiing, you can hear her moaning a little bit, I like it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So, Hillary recommended I watch this and I did. Very fun to see, of course. She is so gorgeous (and I don't use that word very often, except to talk about myself) and seemingly loving the ride - used to the action. Then I said "boys, want to see a video of baby Emerald?" I could not believe the immediate excitement and rush of all three boys ("Davey, hurry up!!, yelled Bob and Nick - "Where are you??" said Davey frantically, running into the office). OMG, that Emerald made her mark on these boys. It didn't work out for me and you, Brad, but I think E may have a future with a Paulus boy. We can only hope. Their fav part was when she stuck out her tongue, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That was awesome to see!!!! She's a doll... and a future Olympian :)

    by the way, I've heard my sister direct the word "gorgeous" at me several times before. she's a liar.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So fun to see comments from both of you! I am psyched that she enjoys it because I think it is good for both of us. Linds, I was just telling some people about how your boys couldn't keep their hands off of Emerald when you were here. So fun.

    ReplyDelete