Thursday, January 13, 2011

Managing the Cold

Spent the last few days in the house once again. This cold and cloudy business has got to stop! It's not typical for Steamboat to be cloudy for days on end. The cold in January can be bothersome sometimes, but these last two blasts came too close together and stayed for too long.

Tuesday, E and I spent the day in the house. I remember im-ing Hil at 11 and it was still -2. Drag. But, E did get to try bananas for the first time. Picked out some organic guys at Bamboo. She enjoyed them, but didn't Go, Bananas, Go, Go Bananas.

On Wednesday we also hung out inside for the day. When I got her up from her nap, she had some freezing feet and hands, so I bundled her up and we did some dancing in the basement before coming upstairs to play. Hooked up the receiver and tested some speaker wire before I cover it with drywall. Michael sounds great down there and E liked it too. Here she is when we finished the dance party.

Since we were heading to T and D's for beef stew that night, I made some bread. T said we couldn't come unless I did. Decided to try something new and made some Rustic 1/4 Wheat Pepper Parmesan. 1 for the meal and one for us to freeze.

Turns out the stew wasn't ready, so we got pizza instead. I guess that T just wanted some homemade bread, he could have just asked. Still waiting to hear how it tasted. Taste is T.

While bread was baking, Kodi showed up in the living room. K has been making him stay off the rug, so, no one tell her about this foto (she has decided to quit reading the blog because I don't post enough for her liking). He was carrying the "Mini Me" stuffed Rottweiler. Just so turns out that E was sitting on the floor playing with her stuffed animal for the first time. I didn't stage the foto, it is where he sat. So cute.

He growls at her sometimes when she pulls his hair, but he does that to us too. He never does anything about it, but I think he wants people to know that he is displeased. He is way more protective of us when E is with us and we are walking, that is interesting to see.

D came over today to watch E because I was asked to help out with some concrete work. I left the house at about 11:30 and the sun was just starting to pop through the clouds. Too bad the work was in a sub basement because I didn't get to enjoy the sun except for the drive. The basement was hot as hell because of the concrete going off, the halogen work lights, the boiler, and the physical work involved with the finishing, which was a nice change of pace. I spent a few hours sweating instead of shivering. When we were finished with the concrete, it had warmed up quite nicely and I knew that a walk or hike was in our future when K got back from school.

We did get outside and take the long loop on Emerald, but because it was afternoon, we missed out on the sun for the most part. It was great just to get out of the house and do something physical though. Near the end of the walk, E was making a lot of grunting noises, not upset or anything. Not pooping. Just kind of talking through a grunt. This last shot was taken near the end of the trail. I felt her head slump down on mine and knew she was getting tired. It was great to have K there so we could get a foto of it.

It is supposed to be a little warmer for the next few days, but we are supposed to get between 19 and 33 inches of snow by Monday. I really need to shovel the roof (I did a portion of it the other day and there was snow up to my upper thighs). Good thing MA gave us that helmet, because it's about a 35 foot fall from the roof. I could withstand it, but I don't know if E could- unless she's wearing a helmet.

2 comments: