Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Bitter Cold

Until yesterday, the last bunch of days have been bitter cold- negative numbers all day long. Yesterday, however, things started to warm up and there was blue sky off in the distance. So, after E's nap and feeding time, I loaded her into the Sherpani and we hit Doc's loop. I think it was only 20 degrees out, but it might as well have been 60! It felt so good being outside and hiking after too many days being homebound after the glutenous holidays. Kodi was ecstatic as evidenced by this video.


Took E to a Dr in Denver last week. Looks like we'll have to go back at the end of the month for an MRI. Turns out that it is possible she has a tethered spinal cord. The MRI will let us know whether or not she'll need to have surgery to release the cord. So crazy to be in this situation. These are the things you never really think about when you enter parenthood. After we got the results back while K was pregnant that there was hardly any likelihood of Downs, I felt like we were in the clear. Then, turns out she is Frank breech. Then, turns out she's got hip dysplasia in one hip. We got through those four months in the harness and barely remember them, but we didn't plan on any of this. K and I have some different feelings about E's probability of having to have surgery in the near future. Let's just say, I hope I'm right. If she does need it, that's fine and I'll be thankful that we caught things soon, but it will pail (pale, peighel) in comparison of my joy if all is kosher in the the MRI.

She is beatiful, happy, and seems totally healthy to us. Hell, yesterday evening, she grabbed hold of a toy box that she has and stood there without support for several minutes. One symptom of a tethered spinal cord is weakness in the legs and feet. Come on! Look at that smirk- Mom or Dad?


The basement is rapid progress, slow progress, rapid progress slow progress. I seem to enter into periods of confidence and then cowardice while I figure things out. I have been racking my brain to come up with a good electrical plan for a few days now. Looks like it is all set except for one problem I've enlisted some help with. Next couple of days will be finished with electrical and batting and then I will start hanging the drywall. It is going to be so nice down there when the drywall is up and finished.


Thanks for the feedback, it gives me more will to keep working at this!

4 comments:

  1. Katie My Boss was going to comment that she even reads this without knowing you but you don't have "anonymous" as an option for those people w/out gmail/aim etc. profiles. In your set-up of preferences there is a place to manage your "comments". I believe you can just click to allow anonymous comments. Might get you more feedback than you ever imagined.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Legs look strong to me! And I think she is starting to look a little like Kathleen. Can't wait to come live in your basement. What's the rent?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know if you've not been paying attention or what, but that's MY ROOM down there, not yours. You can have the couch though.

    ReplyDelete