Sunday, September 11, 2011

Easy Like Sunday Morning

H and J left this morning at about 6. The rest of us got up at about 7:15. After a little breakfast, we drove up to Dry Lake for a hike in the Buffalo Pass area. Beautifully sunny day. We brought Kodi and Sadie and all of us were enjoying the walk in and out of aspen and evergreen groves. Open spaces with lots of sarvis berry bushes that were ripe. In and out of the warm sun on a cool September fall morning.


Family portrait. Notice the berry juice on E's face. She was a fool for them 2 days in a row.



After hiking for about 20 minutes, both dogs took off into the woods down the trail from us. I heard some crashing and what sounded like trees being knocked over. I didn't want to say anything, but thought that maybe the dogs had seen a moose, elk, or bear. I looked up and saw a bear cub up in an aspen tree a few yards off of the trail. We called the dogs back (don't think Sadie even knew why Kodi had charged or ever saw the bear up above), K, who had E on her back, turned the way we came and grabbed Sadie. I tried to get a photo, but, due to some confusion ended up only getting a tiny piece of poor video. The cub started down the tree and Kodi went back for seconds. I wasn't sure where momma was, but yelled for Kodi to get away before that cub got to the ground. I turned and left too because it seemed weird that the cub was coming down while Kodi was still there. Eventually, he ran back to me and we all headed back to the car- E popping sarvis berries along the way.

While E was eating her dinner and I was making ours tonight, I turned on the tv. There was a special on Discovery about the sinking of the Essex whale ship, but what caught my attention and E's was that it just looked like a nature program with sea turtles. E couldn't wait to get out of her high chair to get closer to the television. So, I brought her lazy boy over and hooked her up with some milk. Best part about it, K's response- "Great, my worst nightmare. You and E hanging out together watching nature shows." I can't wait!


No comments:

Post a Comment